System Of A Down drummer John Dolmayan said in a new interview that he is "not really happy with where the band is right now," adding that the four musicians in the group still have "a lot of issues, things we just have to work out" before they can begin making a new studio album. System Of A Down last released new music in 2006 with the Mezmerize and Hypnotize albums, but despite starting to tour again in 2011, the group has not shown any signs of returning to the studio.
Dolmayan told Loudwire, "I'm not really happy with where the band is right now. I think that it's been way too long since we've made an album and I've kind of had enough of the mentality of 'that's okay.' It's not okay. For me, there's no ego involved. I don't write songs, so I'm not worried about who's going to write the song. I'm just ready."
- Dolmayan continued, "There's a lot of fear involved with anything that you haven't done in a long time. To go in together and work together? We're different people. 2005 was the last time we were in the studio together . . . For me, it's irritating. But I do the best I can to understand that there's a lot to be worked through in order to make something great and if it isn't fantastic, there's no reason for us to do it."
- Dolmayan said that he and his bandmates have been communicating "more and more," but admitted that there are still "barriers" which "we can't seem to get past."
- The drummer hinted that the band could have been in the studio now, "but we chose not to for personal reasons that I'm not at liberty to discuss right now. It's positive stuff, that's all I can say at the moment."
- System Of A Down singer Serj Tankian has embarked on a busy solo career since the band went on hiatus in 2006, issuing six studio albums and one live effort.
- Guitarist Daron Malakian recently appeared on the new Linkin Park album, The Hunting Party.
- Dolmayan launched an online comics stores called Torpedo Comics, and recently started a Kickstarter campaign to fund his new project, These Grey Men, with the goal being to produce a star-studded covers album and tour.