There is a new viral challenge going around right now called the #25lbTurkeyChallenge--which has inspired adult children to dupe their parents by texting them the question: "How long does it take to microwave a 25-pound turkey?" Here is the thing it wouldn't work for me because my mom actually used to microwave our turkey on Thanksgiving! I'm just going to be honest here...she was NOT a good cook lol. She makes a great Sweet Potato Pie but that's about it.
The responses that people have gotten have been hilarious! Butterball did actually respond to the challenge by giving detailed instructions of how to microwave your turkey...
- Thaw the turkey first.
- Place the turkey breast side down on a microwave-safe dish or plate.
- Microwave it for four minutes per pound on full power (for example, 36 minutes for a nine-pound turkey) to get the cooking process started. After the initial cook time, the rest of the cooking needs to be on a lower power setting.
- Remove the drippings and baste the partially-cooked turkey so it begins to get that golden-brown skin.
- Flip the turkey over and cook it at 50 percent power for eight minutes per pound (72 minutes total). Stop cooking every 18 minutes to check the turkey's temperature with a meat thermometer and baste it with the natural juices or a browning sauce.
- When the turkey reaches a temperature of 180 to 185 degrees in the thigh and 170 to 175 degrees in the breast, it is ready.
- Baste the turkey once more before serving.
CLICK HERE to get the full story from the TODAY show.